2008 PAV Challenge Rules
- Community Noise Prize - $150,000
- $5,000 to $150,000 depending on noise level
- Green Prize - $50,000
- $10,000 to $50,000 depending on miles per gallon
- CAFE Safety Prize - $50,000
- $50,000 for one plane that meets handling qualities
and ease of use criteria
- CAFE 400 Prize - $25,000
- $2,000 to $25,000 depending on door-to-door speed
on 400 mile course
- Quietest LSA Prize - $10,000
- $10,000 to quietest LSA that meets other speed
and noise requirements
- Four Showcase Prizes of $3,750 each:
- Quietest Cabin
- Best Angle of Climb
- Shortest Takeoff
- Best Glide
To win any prize, team’s PAV must also
meet these requirements:
- 400 mile range with 30 minute reserve
- 2,700 foot takeoff over 50 foot obstacle
- Stall speed with flaps no greater than 52 MPH
- Cabin noise must remain below 95 dBA
- Community noise not to exceed 72 dBA at 500 feet during takeoff
- Vehicle must score at least 6 on Cooper-Harper rating
Other Entry Requirements:
- Entry fee of $3,000 until June 1, $4000 until July 1. No entries accepted after July 1.
- $500 of the entry fee is refunded if all paperwork is in by June 15. The entry will be disqualified if the paperwork is not in by July 1.
- Maximum wingspan 44 feet
- Appropriate FAA certification, compliance, and documentation.
- T-fittings for pitot, static, and manifold pressure.
- Wing cuffs for CAFE Barograph delivered to CAFE by June 15
- Pilot must have 10 hours in make and model and 500 hours pilot in command
- Team leader must be US citizen
2008 Competition Rules and Other Documents
For a free PDF reader click [here].